CFL Rankings: Week 5
Photo by Michael Bell - Leader-Post
Last week's ranking in parentheses.
1. Saskatchewan Roughriders (1) The Riders look like a CFL juggernaut right now. I guess the only concern is, are they peaking too early? Remember, they'll host the 101st Grey Cup in Regina this fall. A loss is coming, but I'm certainly not interested in standing in Saskatchewan's way right now.
2. B.C. Lions (2) B.C. has benefited from a rather soft schedule over the last few weeks, hosting the Argos before a home-and-home set with the Eskimos. Things will get a little tougher this week (or should I say next week - the game will be played on Tuesday) as they head to Toronto for their toughest road test of the young season.
3. Calgary Stampeders (3) Drew Tate is hurt. Now Kevin Glenn is banged up as well. No big deal. The Stamps have more QB depth than any team in the league, with third-stringer Bo Levi Mitchell more than capable of holding his own as we saw last weekend against Montreal. We'll see if the Stamps can avoid a letdown against a hungry Bombers squad in Winnipeg on Friday.
4. Toronto Argonauts (4) Toronto desperately needed a strong showing in Winnipeg last week and got just that, rolling to a 35-19 victory. Unfortunately, they'll have to soldier on without RB Chad Kackert for the next few weeks, and to make matters worse, QB Ricky Ray is nursing a knee injury but should be good to go by Tuesday night when the Argos host the Lions.
5. Winnipeg Blue Bombers (5) The Bombers aren't doing anything to instill much confidence in their home faithful, but with that being said, neither are the teams below them. Despite winning only once in four games this season, Winnipeg still finds itself just one game back of the East-leading Argos. The Bombers have dropped seven in a row against the Stampeders but will try to reverse that trend on Friday.
6. Edmonton Eskimos (8) I'm going to give the rebuilding Eskimos the benefit of the doubt and bump them up a couple of spots this week. They're just 1-3, but those three losses have come against Saskatchewan and B.C. (twice), arguably the league's two best teams. They didn't quit last Saturday at B.C. Place, and have a winnable game on deck in Montreal on Thursday night. Obviously, QB Mike Reilly's injury status will be key.
7. Montreal Alouettes (7) The Als looked great last week. For a quarter. It was all downhill from there as the offense couldn't punch back once the Stampeders made the necessary defensive adjustments. QB Anthony Calvillo and offensive coordinator Mike Miller are saying all the right things, but body language during games seems to indicate otherwise. Needless to say, the Dan Hawkins era is off to a miserable start in Montreal.
8. Hamilton Tiger-Cats (6) Until the Ti-Cats can get healthy, there will continue to be a few stinkers here and there. We certainly saw one on Sunday as they were trounced 37-0 by the Riders in Saskatchewan. Hamilton won't have to wait to get a shot at revenge as it will host the Riders on Saturday night in Guelph. The good news is, Saskatchewan hasn't swept the season series since 2010.
- Southern California
- Jesse Schule
- January 19, 2017 - 9:00 PM
- Offered at:
- allyoubet @ 4 -110 USC
This is a Free #NCAAB play on the #USC Trojans.
The Arizona Wildcats will be a significant road favorite at USC tonight, and I really don't think this is an easy game for Arizona. The Trojans are 9-1 at home, and the one loss came by a single point to California. Their only other two losses this season came on the road at Utah and Oregon. These two teams are very familiar with each other, and the home team has won outright in six of the last seven meetings. The Wildcats have been the favorite in each of the last eight meetings, but USC has won two of their last three home games versus Arizona. Last January these two teams played an epic 103-101 game that required four overtime periods to decide a winner. I wouldn't be surprised if we see something similar this time around.
- DraftKings NBA Tournament Lineup Thurs. January 19
Jan 19, 2017
- CareerBuilder Challenge Preview
Jan 17, 2017
- NBA Betting Roadmap, Week 13
Jan 17, 2017
- #NFL Line Watch Championship Weekend
Jan 16, 2017
- NFL Playoff Report (Packers/Cowboys)
Jan 15, 2017