CFL Rankings: Week 5
Photo by Michael Bell - Leader-Post
Last week's ranking in parentheses.
1. Saskatchewan Roughriders (1) The Riders look like a CFL juggernaut right now. I guess the only concern is, are they peaking too early? Remember, they'll host the 101st Grey Cup in Regina this fall. A loss is coming, but I'm certainly not interested in standing in Saskatchewan's way right now.
2. B.C. Lions (2) B.C. has benefited from a rather soft schedule over the last few weeks, hosting the Argos before a home-and-home set with the Eskimos. Things will get a little tougher this week (or should I say next week - the game will be played on Tuesday) as they head to Toronto for their toughest road test of the young season.
3. Calgary Stampeders (3) Drew Tate is hurt. Now Kevin Glenn is banged up as well. No big deal. The Stamps have more QB depth than any team in the league, with third-stringer Bo Levi Mitchell more than capable of holding his own as we saw last weekend against Montreal. We'll see if the Stamps can avoid a letdown against a hungry Bombers squad in Winnipeg on Friday.
4. Toronto Argonauts (4) Toronto desperately needed a strong showing in Winnipeg last week and got just that, rolling to a 35-19 victory. Unfortunately, they'll have to soldier on without RB Chad Kackert for the next few weeks, and to make matters worse, QB Ricky Ray is nursing a knee injury but should be good to go by Tuesday night when the Argos host the Lions.
5. Winnipeg Blue Bombers (5) The Bombers aren't doing anything to instill much confidence in their home faithful, but with that being said, neither are the teams below them. Despite winning only once in four games this season, Winnipeg still finds itself just one game back of the East-leading Argos. The Bombers have dropped seven in a row against the Stampeders but will try to reverse that trend on Friday.
6. Edmonton Eskimos (8) I'm going to give the rebuilding Eskimos the benefit of the doubt and bump them up a couple of spots this week. They're just 1-3, but those three losses have come against Saskatchewan and B.C. (twice), arguably the league's two best teams. They didn't quit last Saturday at B.C. Place, and have a winnable game on deck in Montreal on Thursday night. Obviously, QB Mike Reilly's injury status will be key.
7. Montreal Alouettes (7) The Als looked great last week. For a quarter. It was all downhill from there as the offense couldn't punch back once the Stampeders made the necessary defensive adjustments. QB Anthony Calvillo and offensive coordinator Mike Miller are saying all the right things, but body language during games seems to indicate otherwise. Needless to say, the Dan Hawkins era is off to a miserable start in Montreal.
8. Hamilton Tiger-Cats (6) Until the Ti-Cats can get healthy, there will continue to be a few stinkers here and there. We certainly saw one on Sunday as they were trounced 37-0 by the Riders in Saskatchewan. Hamilton won't have to wait to get a shot at revenge as it will host the Riders on Saturday night in Guelph. The good news is, Saskatchewan hasn't swept the season series since 2010.
- Marc Lawrence
- April 19, 2015 - 2:10 PM
- Offered at:
- top bet @ -103 Oakland
Play - Oakland A’s w/Kazmir.
Edges - Athletics: 16-5 last twenty-one April team starts, including 5-0 last five away; and Kazmir 12-6 last eighteen away team starts. Royals: Duffy 1-3 career home April team starts with 6.61 ERA.
With Kazmir in fine current form off a terrific spring camp in which he posted a 1.00 ERA along with a 0.78 WHIP, we recommend a 1-unit play on Oakland. Thank you and good luck as always.
• Marc started the NBA playoffs on a strong winning note yesterday with Washington’s straight-up win over Toronto. His powerful database has isolated another Top Key Play on Sunday’s NBA playoff card supported with another killer winning angle inside the game that is 100% ATS PERFECT in opening round games since 1980. Don’t dare miss it!
- UFC on Fox 15 Preview
Apr 17, 2015
- NBA Playoffs **Podcast** + FREE Best Bet!
Apr 17, 2015
- NBA Zig Zag Theory
Apr 16, 2015
- Quick Hitter: 2015 Ball Park Series: Fenway Park
Apr 16, 2015
- See spot. See spot bet: This week's best spot bets
Apr 15, 2015