Around the Horn: The Twins & Target Field
Last week we were in Cleveland. The next stop on our tour has us in the Twin Cities.
The Minnesota Twins saw their season-best five-game win streak come to an end in Tuesday's second contest of its double-header with the Marlins, an 8-5 setback in which I had the "over".
One player you'll want to keep your eyes on is Joe Mauer, as the five-time All-Star is hitting .444 with two home runs and eight RBIs over his last 11 games (that said, Mauer is hitting just .243 vs. his next opponent, going 5 for 30 over his last nine home games in this series).
2012 Park Factor (Park Factor compares the rate of stats at home vs. the rate of stats on the road. A rate below 1.000 favors the pitcher. Higher than 1.000 favors the hitter).
- Runs: 1.044
- HR: 1.031
- H: 1.030
- 2B: 0.989
- 3B: 1.905
- BB: 1.082
Interesting facts about Target Field: Is the Twins' sixth ballpark and third in Minnesota. After 28 seasons at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, the team relocated to Target Field in 2010. An open-air park with over 39,000 occupancy (cost just over a half-billion dollars to construct). Was designed with the purpose of being a "neutral" park as far as favoring neither the pitcher nor the hitter. Built with local limestone, it features heated viewing areas and a heated field. There is no roof, but the top deck is covered in a canopy. The original flagpole from Metropolitan Stadium is located on the right-field plaza. The bullpens are "double-decker" style in left-center field. Home plate is the same that was used at the Metrodome. It has been selected to host the 2014 All-Star Game.
Has home field been an advantage for the Twins since Target Field opened?
- 2010: 94-68 overall. 53-28 at home. 41-40 on road.
- 2011: 63-99 overall. 33-48 at home. 30-51 on road.
- 2012: 66-96 overall. 31-50 at home. 35-46 on road.
(2013 as of writing: 9-8 overall. 5-4 at home. 4-4 on road.
Obviously over the last two seasons, home field has been anything but an advantage for the Twins. They had the big year in 2010, but have soiled the sheets the last two seasons.
In all of my other articles I've taken a look back over the previous five seasons, so to be fair, let's see what Minnesota did in 2008 and 2009:
- 2008: 88-75 overall. 53-28 at home. 35-47 on road.
- 2009: 87-76 overall. 49-33 at home. 38-43 on road.
The Twins' talent level in all phases of the game has dropped considerably overall since 2010, so I think it's safe to say that the book is still out on whether or not Target Field is an advantage for the Twins.
The Twins open a four game series with the Rangers on Thursday the 25th.
Minnesota was 2-8 vs. the Rangers last season, including 0-3 at Target Field.
- Will Rogers
- November 28, 2015 - 7:30 PM
- Offered at:
- pinnacle @ -3.5 -106 Stanford
Notre Dame @ Stanford -4 7:30 EST
The Notre Dame Fighting Irish are on the bubble as far as the playoffs are concerned, and they need a win here at Stanford, and possibly some help from teams like Nebraska, Penn State or TCU. The Cardinal's playoff hopes are a little slimmer, but they've already punched a ticket to the PAC12 Championship Game, and a win over the Irish could keep them in the discussion. My money is on a Stanford team that has a far more impressive body of work.
Here are my keys to the game:
1. Christian McCaffrey - The Heisman hopeful ran for 192 yards on 29 carries last week, and he also rank back a 98 yard kick for a TD. He should find plenty of room to run against a Notre Dame team that surrendered 214 rushing yards to Boston College last week.
2. Injuries - The Irish are really banged up, and last week they lost leading rusher C.J. Prosise to a high ankle sprain. He's not likely to play on Saturday versus Stanford.
3. X-Factor - The Cardinal are 38-17 ATS in their last 55 home games, and they've covered in seven of their last nine versus a team with a winning record.
Selection: This is a play on the Stanford Cardinal (Free)
- Best bang for your NFL Week 12 daily fantasy buck
Nov 25, 2015
- Thanksgiving Football Podcast (NFL + NCAA)
Nov 25, 2015
- Week 13 NCAAF Line Watch
Nov 25, 2015
- See spot. See spot bet: This week's best spot bets
Nov 24, 2015
- Week 12 NFL Power Rankings
Nov 24, 2015