Around the Horn: The Mariners & Safeco Field
The Mariners enter their series with the Rangers Friday night having lost six-straight.
The team conducted a closed-door meeting after Wednesday's 7-1 loss to the Angels, which was preceded by an embarrassing 12-0 setback the day before.
As has been its M.O. over the last half-decade, Seattle has been the beneficiary of great starting pitching, but its anemic lineup continues to be its achilles heel.
- Felix Hernandez is 5-3 with a 2.07 ERA
- Hisashi Iwakuma is 5-1 with a 2.37 ERA
- Joe Saunders is 3-4 with a 5.64 ERA
- Brandon Maurer is 2-6 with a 6.80 ERA
2012 Park Factor (Park Factor compares the rate of stats at home vs. the rate of stats on the road. A rate below 1.000 favors the pitcher. Higher than 1.000 favors the hitter).
- Runs: 0.687
- HR: 0.583
- H: 0.831
- 2B: 0.709
- 3B: 0.528
- BB: 1.002
Interesting facts about Safeco Field: Opened in 1999 for a cost of just over a half-billion dollars. Seattle-based Safeco insurance company paid just over $40 million for 20-year naming rights. A "retro-modern" stadium, it features a retractable roof and can seat almost 48,000. Just before the 2013 season started the Mariners moved the fences at Safeco closer to home plate so as to "level the playing field" for the hitters. One of the most unique features is an old-fashioned manually operated scoreboard located in left field.
Has home field been an advantage for the Mariners over the last five years?
- 2008: 61-101 overall. 35-46 at home. 26-55 on road.
- 2009: 85-77 overall. 48-33 at home. 37-44 on road.
- 2010: 61-101 overall. 35-46 at home. 26-55 on road.
- 2011: 67-95 overall. 39-45 at home. 28-50 on road.
- 2012: 75-87 overall. 40-41 at home. 35-46 on road.
(2013 as of writing: 20-27 overall. 11-9 at home. 9-18 on road)
The Mariners were in risk of being moved out of Seattle before Safeco was built. They've been a horrible team over the last five years and home field has been anything but an advantage for them.
Seattle hosts Texas over the weekend, before a short two-game set vs. San Diego on Monday/Tuesday.
The Mariners have already played the Rangers seven times this year and have gone 2-5, including 2-2 at home.
Seattle was 1-5 vs. the Friars in 2012, including 0-3 at Safeco.
- Jesse Schule
- October 4, 2015 - 1:00 PM
- Offered at:
- betonline @ -2.5 -130 Oakland
This is a Free #NFL play on the Oakland #Raiders.
- MLB Cheat Sheets: Oct 2-5
Oct 3, 2015
- NFL + NCAA Football Podcast (Oct. 3-4)
Oct 1, 2015
- NFL October Situational Team Trends
Sep 30, 2015
- Best bang for your NFL Week 4 daily fantasy buck
Sep 30, 2015
- See spot. See spot bet: This week's best spot bets
Sep 29, 2015