New Year's Day - Let's Go Bowling
By Marc Lawrence
January 1 signifies a new day and a new year and with it a bevy of college bowl games, sprinkled in with a handful of holiday hoops.
Let’s take a look at what’s trending on this New Year’s Day bowl card. All ATS records extracted form the 2012 PLAYBOOK College Bowl Stat Report.
Bowling For Dollars
Here is a look at the most recent trends inside each of the five major bowl games on tap today…
• Capital One Bowl: the favorite is 3-1 ATS the last four years and 5-7 ATS the last twelve. All seven dog wins have been straight up.
• Gator Bowl: the favorite has cashed each of the last two years, snapping a four year run by the dogs.
• Orange Bowl: the favorite is 1-4 ATS the last five year, with the dog winning straight up four times.
• Outback Bowl: of the 8 ATS dog win six have been in straight up fashion.
• Rose Bowl: PAC 10/12 teams are 6-1 SUATS the last seven games versus Big 10 opponents.
Conference Call: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Good numbers: SEC bowl teams off a SU favorite loss (Mississippi State) are 10-1 ATS… MAC bowlers off a win (Northern Illinois) are 9-3 ATS vs. a .600 or greater opponents off a win…
Bad numbers… Big 10 bowl dogs off a loss of 17 or more points (Nebraska) are 1-5 ATS…
Ugly numbers… Big 10 bowl teams off a win (Wisconsin) are 3-15 ATS versus PAC 10/12 opponents.
Coach Me Up
• Michigan’s Brady Hoke is 8-0 ATS off a SUATS loss when his team has a .500 or greater win percentage.
• South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier is 9-1 ATS off a win versus a non-conference opponent off a SUATS loss.
• Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy is 6-1 ATS in games off a SU favorite loss.
• Wisconsin’s Barry Alvarez is 8-3 SU and 7-4 ATS in bowl games.
• Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen is 1-18 SU and 5-14 ATS versus .750 or greater opponents.
• Florida State’s Jimbo Fisher is 2-5 SU and 1-6 ATS versus .800 or greater opponents.
My Favorite Martian
Favorites on New Years Day bowl games have been out of this world in games dating back to 1990.
That’s confirmed by a 70-52 ATS overall mark.
The best role for New Year's Day chalk is when they take on opponents with soft defenses, those allowing 20 or more PPG on the season, where they zoom to 31-14 ATS.
Georgia, Mississippi State and Oklahoma State look to turn extraterrestrial this New Year’s Day.
In keeping with the tradition of making, then breaking, new promises for the New Year, let’s see whether Mississippi State maintains status quo today.
The Bulldogs were 8-0 SU versus non-bowlers, but 0-4 SU and ATS and ITS (In The Stats) versus fellow bowl teams, this season.
Stat Of The Day
The favorite is 14-2 ATS in Oklahoma State’s last 16 bowl games.
- O (KC at STL)
- AAA Sports
- June 30, 2016 - 7:15 PM
- Offered at:
- betonline @ Over 9 -110
AAA Sports is a PERFECT 6-0 (100%) the L2 days and 18-9 +$11,756 ALL picks L7 days. MLB continues to be a MASSIVE SUMMER TIME MONEY MAKER, 8-2 +$4,340 L10 and 101-74 +$13,737 Y-T-D at the ballpark! It’s time to KEEP THE PEDAL TO THE METAL early on Thursday, don’t even consider missing out!
1* Free Play OVER Royals/Cardinals.
Chris Young (2-7, 6.54 ERA) gets the call for the visitors, he most recently allowed seven runs on seven hits with four walks while striking out just two over 2.1 innings in a pathetic performance vs. the Astros on Saturday. Note that Young has been particularly horrible in this spot all year, 0-5 with a deplorable 9.70 ERA on the road thus far. The home side counters with Mike Leake (5-5, 4.25) who was shelled for five runs off nine hits over 3.1 innings in a loss to Seattle on Saturday, striking out one and walking two. Leake’s 1.24 WHIP to go along with just 59 K’s in 91 frames of work leaves everything to be desired. With these two inconsistent starters going head-to-head in this interleague contest, the OVER does indeed become worthy of a second look in this particular matchup.
- Defense Wins Championships In The NFL
Jun 29, 2016
- July Good Month/Bad Month Pitchers
Jun 28, 2016
- MLB Power Rankings (Week 13)
Jun 28, 2016
- Wiseguy Report:Teddy's Early Look at the NFC South
Jun 27, 2016
- 2016 Big 12 Conference Football Betting Preview
Jun 26, 2016