New Year's Day - Let's Go Bowling
By Marc Lawrence
January 1 signifies a new day and a new year and with it a bevy of college bowl games, sprinkled in with a handful of holiday hoops.
Let’s take a look at what’s trending on this New Year’s Day bowl card. All ATS records extracted form the 2012 PLAYBOOK College Bowl Stat Report.
Bowling For Dollars
Here is a look at the most recent trends inside each of the five major bowl games on tap today…
• Capital One Bowl: the favorite is 3-1 ATS the last four years and 5-7 ATS the last twelve. All seven dog wins have been straight up.
• Gator Bowl: the favorite has cashed each of the last two years, snapping a four year run by the dogs.
• Orange Bowl: the favorite is 1-4 ATS the last five year, with the dog winning straight up four times.
• Outback Bowl: of the 8 ATS dog win six have been in straight up fashion.
• Rose Bowl: PAC 10/12 teams are 6-1 SUATS the last seven games versus Big 10 opponents.
Conference Call: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Good numbers: SEC bowl teams off a SU favorite loss (Mississippi State) are 10-1 ATS… MAC bowlers off a win (Northern Illinois) are 9-3 ATS vs. a .600 or greater opponents off a win…
Bad numbers… Big 10 bowl dogs off a loss of 17 or more points (Nebraska) are 1-5 ATS…
Ugly numbers… Big 10 bowl teams off a win (Wisconsin) are 3-15 ATS versus PAC 10/12 opponents.
Coach Me Up
• Michigan’s Brady Hoke is 8-0 ATS off a SUATS loss when his team has a .500 or greater win percentage.
• South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier is 9-1 ATS off a win versus a non-conference opponent off a SUATS loss.
• Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy is 6-1 ATS in games off a SU favorite loss.
• Wisconsin’s Barry Alvarez is 8-3 SU and 7-4 ATS in bowl games.
• Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen is 1-18 SU and 5-14 ATS versus .750 or greater opponents.
• Florida State’s Jimbo Fisher is 2-5 SU and 1-6 ATS versus .800 or greater opponents.
My Favorite Martian
Favorites on New Years Day bowl games have been out of this world in games dating back to 1990.
That’s confirmed by a 70-52 ATS overall mark.
The best role for New Year's Day chalk is when they take on opponents with soft defenses, those allowing 20 or more PPG on the season, where they zoom to 31-14 ATS.
Georgia, Mississippi State and Oklahoma State look to turn extraterrestrial this New Year’s Day.
In keeping with the tradition of making, then breaking, new promises for the New Year, let’s see whether Mississippi State maintains status quo today.
The Bulldogs were 8-0 SU versus non-bowlers, but 0-4 SU and ATS and ITS (In The Stats) versus fellow bowl teams, this season.
Stat Of The Day
The favorite is 14-2 ATS in Oklahoma State’s last 16 bowl games.
- Doc's Sports
- May 26, 2015 - 7:05 PM
- Offered at:
- sbgglobal @ 136 Miami
Monster card coming on Tuesday featuring action from MLB, NHL, & NBA!
Tuesday MLB Free Play from Doc's Sports Take #903 Miami Marlins over Pittsburgh Pirates (Tuesday, 7:05pm EST) The Miami Marlins haven't been good since Dan Jennings stepped down from the front office to take over for former manager Mike Redmond. In fact, they are just 2-6 under Jennings and have lacked the fire that they played with last season. But tonight they get a shot in the arm in the form of youngster Jose Urena. The 23-year old right-hander has been dominating at Triple-A this season at 4-0 with a 1.21 ERA. He has a plus fastball in the 92-94 mph range and very good control for a youngster. This will be Urena's firs big league start, so the he should have the leg up on his opponent the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Pirates haven't been the same this season without Russell Martin, and it has shown in the numbers for the pitching staff. Nobody has missed Martin more than Tuesday's starter Jeff Locke. He posted a respectable 3.91 ERA last season, but comes in with a 5.28 ERA in eight starts in 2015. This line is a tad high so we'll take a shot with the Marlins and their young arm Urena.
- AT&T Byron Nelson Championship Preview
May 26, 2015
- MLB Power Rankings: Week of May 25th
May 25, 2015
- MLB: Most Profitable and Costliest Teams
May 25, 2015
- English Premier League Survival Sunday Preview
May 20, 2015
- See spot. See spot bet: This week's best spot bets
May 19, 2015