New Year's Day - Let's Go Bowling
By Marc Lawrence
January 1 signifies a new day and a new year and with it a bevy of college bowl games, sprinkled in with a handful of holiday hoops.
Let’s take a look at what’s trending on this New Year’s Day bowl card. All ATS records extracted form the 2012 PLAYBOOK College Bowl Stat Report.
Bowling For Dollars
Here is a look at the most recent trends inside each of the five major bowl games on tap today…
• Capital One Bowl: the favorite is 3-1 ATS the last four years and 5-7 ATS the last twelve. All seven dog wins have been straight up.
• Gator Bowl: the favorite has cashed each of the last two years, snapping a four year run by the dogs.
• Orange Bowl: the favorite is 1-4 ATS the last five year, with the dog winning straight up four times.
• Outback Bowl: of the 8 ATS dog win six have been in straight up fashion.
• Rose Bowl: PAC 10/12 teams are 6-1 SUATS the last seven games versus Big 10 opponents.
Conference Call: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Good numbers: SEC bowl teams off a SU favorite loss (Mississippi State) are 10-1 ATS… MAC bowlers off a win (Northern Illinois) are 9-3 ATS vs. a .600 or greater opponents off a win…
Bad numbers… Big 10 bowl dogs off a loss of 17 or more points (Nebraska) are 1-5 ATS…
Ugly numbers… Big 10 bowl teams off a win (Wisconsin) are 3-15 ATS versus PAC 10/12 opponents.
Coach Me Up
• Michigan’s Brady Hoke is 8-0 ATS off a SUATS loss when his team has a .500 or greater win percentage.
• South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier is 9-1 ATS off a win versus a non-conference opponent off a SUATS loss.
• Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy is 6-1 ATS in games off a SU favorite loss.
• Wisconsin’s Barry Alvarez is 8-3 SU and 7-4 ATS in bowl games.
• Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen is 1-18 SU and 5-14 ATS versus .750 or greater opponents.
• Florida State’s Jimbo Fisher is 2-5 SU and 1-6 ATS versus .800 or greater opponents.
My Favorite Martian
Favorites on New Years Day bowl games have been out of this world in games dating back to 1990.
That’s confirmed by a 70-52 ATS overall mark.
The best role for New Year's Day chalk is when they take on opponents with soft defenses, those allowing 20 or more PPG on the season, where they zoom to 31-14 ATS.
Georgia, Mississippi State and Oklahoma State look to turn extraterrestrial this New Year’s Day.
In keeping with the tradition of making, then breaking, new promises for the New Year, let’s see whether Mississippi State maintains status quo today.
The Bulldogs were 8-0 SU versus non-bowlers, but 0-4 SU and ATS and ITS (In The Stats) versus fellow bowl teams, this season.
Stat Of The Day
The favorite is 14-2 ATS in Oklahoma State’s last 16 bowl games.
- Marc Lawrence
- March 28, 2015 - 8:30 PM
- Offered at:
- 5dimes @ 5 -105 Milwaukee
Edges - Bucks: 6-1 ATS in this series; and 21-13-1 ATS as a non-division dog this season. Warriors: 1-7 SU and 2-6 ATS away last seven games versus foe with same season loss revenge; and 2-5 SUATS after Grizzlies.
With Golden State in off a revenge tussle with Memphis last night, and the Bucks looking to avenge a loss suffered earlier this year at Golden State, we recommend a 1-unit play on Milwaukee. Thank you and good luck as always.
• Marc’s white-hot run on the March Madness card (8-1-1 last ten best bets) reaches its zenith with his highest-rated 5* NCAA Tourney Most Valuable Play on Saturday’s Elite 8 card. Get it now and learn all FIVE of the 100% ATS winning angles inside the game - don’t miss out!
- Rogers' DraftKings NBA: Thursday Value Plays
Mar 27, 2015
- NCAA Sweet 16 radio show
Mar 26, 2015
- NBA Western Conf Betting Road Map (Mar. 23-29)
Mar 25, 2015
- See spot. See spot bet: This week's best spot bets
Mar 24, 2015
- Sweet 16 and Elite 8 Round Stats and Facts
Mar 24, 2015