New Year's Day - Let's Go Bowling
By Marc Lawrence
January 1 signifies a new day and a new year and with it a bevy of college bowl games, sprinkled in with a handful of holiday hoops.
Let’s take a look at what’s trending on this New Year’s Day bowl card. All ATS records extracted form the 2012 PLAYBOOK College Bowl Stat Report.
Bowling For Dollars
Here is a look at the most recent trends inside each of the five major bowl games on tap today…
• Capital One Bowl: the favorite is 3-1 ATS the last four years and 5-7 ATS the last twelve. All seven dog wins have been straight up.
• Gator Bowl: the favorite has cashed each of the last two years, snapping a four year run by the dogs.
• Orange Bowl: the favorite is 1-4 ATS the last five year, with the dog winning straight up four times.
• Outback Bowl: of the 8 ATS dog win six have been in straight up fashion.
• Rose Bowl: PAC 10/12 teams are 6-1 SUATS the last seven games versus Big 10 opponents.
Conference Call: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Good numbers: SEC bowl teams off a SU favorite loss (Mississippi State) are 10-1 ATS… MAC bowlers off a win (Northern Illinois) are 9-3 ATS vs. a .600 or greater opponents off a win…
Bad numbers… Big 10 bowl dogs off a loss of 17 or more points (Nebraska) are 1-5 ATS…
Ugly numbers… Big 10 bowl teams off a win (Wisconsin) are 3-15 ATS versus PAC 10/12 opponents.
Coach Me Up
• Michigan’s Brady Hoke is 8-0 ATS off a SUATS loss when his team has a .500 or greater win percentage.
• South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier is 9-1 ATS off a win versus a non-conference opponent off a SUATS loss.
• Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy is 6-1 ATS in games off a SU favorite loss.
• Wisconsin’s Barry Alvarez is 8-3 SU and 7-4 ATS in bowl games.
• Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen is 1-18 SU and 5-14 ATS versus .750 or greater opponents.
• Florida State’s Jimbo Fisher is 2-5 SU and 1-6 ATS versus .800 or greater opponents.
My Favorite Martian
Favorites on New Years Day bowl games have been out of this world in games dating back to 1990.
That’s confirmed by a 70-52 ATS overall mark.
The best role for New Year's Day chalk is when they take on opponents with soft defenses, those allowing 20 or more PPG on the season, where they zoom to 31-14 ATS.
Georgia, Mississippi State and Oklahoma State look to turn extraterrestrial this New Year’s Day.
In keeping with the tradition of making, then breaking, new promises for the New Year, let’s see whether Mississippi State maintains status quo today.
The Bulldogs were 8-0 SU versus non-bowlers, but 0-4 SU and ATS and ITS (In The Stats) versus fellow bowl teams, this season.
Stat Of The Day
The favorite is 14-2 ATS in Oklahoma State’s last 16 bowl games.
- NY Mets
- Doc's Sports
- April 28, 2015 - 7:10 PM
- Offered at:
- sportsinteraction @ 105 NY Mets
Monster Run in All Sports leads to a Super Tuesday Card!
Tuesday Free Play from Doc's Sports Take #903 New York Mets over Miami Marlins (Tuesday, 7:10pm EST) The Mets aren't going to continue winning 75% of their games, but this is a good team. The lineup has some holes (especially with the current injury situation), but New York has a terrific defense, a solid bullpen and they do a lot of the little things that winning teams do. Rafael Montero makes his first start of the season after working in the pen. He has electric stuff and can make hitters look foolish in the box. The big question with him is his control and whether he can keep it together for five or six innings. Against some teams it would be tough, but Miami is a free swinging team that leads the National League in strikeouts. That bodes well for Montero and I think he'll put up a good performance. The Marlins go with David Phelps and he hasn't been very good overall despite a 3.55 ERA. The Mets are the better team and we'll take the underdog price.
- NFL Draft Prop Bet Picks
Apr 28, 2015
- Rogers' DraftKings MLB: Tuesday Value Plays
Apr 28, 2015
- WGC-Cadillac Match Play Preview
Apr 28, 2015
- Rogers' DraftKings MLB: Thursday Value Plays
Apr 24, 2015
- Quick Hitter: 2015 Ball Park Series: National Park
Apr 23, 2015