New Year's Day - Let's Go Bowling
By Marc Lawrence
January 1 signifies a new day and a new year and with it a bevy of college bowl games, sprinkled in with a handful of holiday hoops.
Let’s take a look at what’s trending on this New Year’s Day bowl card. All ATS records extracted form the 2012 PLAYBOOK College Bowl Stat Report.
Bowling For Dollars
Here is a look at the most recent trends inside each of the five major bowl games on tap today…
• Capital One Bowl: the favorite is 3-1 ATS the last four years and 5-7 ATS the last twelve. All seven dog wins have been straight up.
• Gator Bowl: the favorite has cashed each of the last two years, snapping a four year run by the dogs.
• Orange Bowl: the favorite is 1-4 ATS the last five year, with the dog winning straight up four times.
• Outback Bowl: of the 8 ATS dog win six have been in straight up fashion.
• Rose Bowl: PAC 10/12 teams are 6-1 SUATS the last seven games versus Big 10 opponents.
Conference Call: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Good numbers: SEC bowl teams off a SU favorite loss (Mississippi State) are 10-1 ATS… MAC bowlers off a win (Northern Illinois) are 9-3 ATS vs. a .600 or greater opponents off a win…
Bad numbers… Big 10 bowl dogs off a loss of 17 or more points (Nebraska) are 1-5 ATS…
Ugly numbers… Big 10 bowl teams off a win (Wisconsin) are 3-15 ATS versus PAC 10/12 opponents.
Coach Me Up
• Michigan’s Brady Hoke is 8-0 ATS off a SUATS loss when his team has a .500 or greater win percentage.
• South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier is 9-1 ATS off a win versus a non-conference opponent off a SUATS loss.
• Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy is 6-1 ATS in games off a SU favorite loss.
• Wisconsin’s Barry Alvarez is 8-3 SU and 7-4 ATS in bowl games.
• Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen is 1-18 SU and 5-14 ATS versus .750 or greater opponents.
• Florida State’s Jimbo Fisher is 2-5 SU and 1-6 ATS versus .800 or greater opponents.
My Favorite Martian
Favorites on New Years Day bowl games have been out of this world in games dating back to 1990.
That’s confirmed by a 70-52 ATS overall mark.
The best role for New Year's Day chalk is when they take on opponents with soft defenses, those allowing 20 or more PPG on the season, where they zoom to 31-14 ATS.
Georgia, Mississippi State and Oklahoma State look to turn extraterrestrial this New Year’s Day.
In keeping with the tradition of making, then breaking, new promises for the New Year, let’s see whether Mississippi State maintains status quo today.
The Bulldogs were 8-0 SU versus non-bowlers, but 0-4 SU and ATS and ITS (In The Stats) versus fellow bowl teams, this season.
Stat Of The Day
The favorite is 14-2 ATS in Oklahoma State’s last 16 bowl games.
- U (LAA at LA)
- Al McMordie
- July 31, 2015 - 10:10 PM
- Offered at:
- top bet @ Under 6 105
Al McMordie SWEPT THE BOARD AGAIN last night, as he cashed Toronto, as his MLB Game of the Week, and the Blue Bombers in Canadian Football. Big Al's now 27-15 in the CFL the past 2 years, and 195-137 in Pro Football since 2013. Here, pick up Big Al's TOTALS WINNER in tonight's Edmonton/Saskatchewan game!
At 10:10 pm, our complimentary selection is on the Los Angeles Angels and the Los Angeles Dodgers 'under' the total. For your best benefit, join for a week or month today to receive all of our award-winning selections. We're 67% in the CFL this season, and 195-137 in Pro Football since 2013, so join today!<br><br>Clayton Kershaw might have gotten the 2015 season off to a slow start, and he also might have just barely made it onto the NL All-Star roster after some pulled out, but lately the defending two-time Cy Young winner has been about as unhittable as a starting pitcher can be. With his teammate, Zack Greinke having finally given up a run, it is now Kershaw who has a scoreless streak going, as it's been 29 innings (over three plus games) since there's been a run allowed by the Dodger southpaw ace. But he's needed to be that good too, because the Dodgers offense hasn't really shown up for him, plating just 17 runs in his last six starts (less than three runs per start). Fellow Los Angeles southpaw Hector Santiago continues to impress for the Angels, with a 7-4 record and a 2.63 ERA in 20 appearances (19 starts) so we could looking at a big-time pitching duel tonight. The under is 6-1 in the last seven meetings. Take the 'under.' As always, good luck...Al McMordie.
- See spot. See spot bet: This week's best spot bets
Jul 28, 2015
- Quicken Loans National Preview
Jul 28, 2015
- MLB Cheat Sheets: July 27-31
Jul 27, 2015
- 2015 Pac-12 Conference Football Preview
Jul 26, 2015
- 2015 NCAAF Conference Preview - SEC
Jul 25, 2015